Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Goodbye Davy Jones

I learned of the death of Davy Jones today on my way home. The radio was playing Valerie and I had it up loud enough to drown out my flat notes as I sang along. Then the bomb was dropped: Davy Jones died of a heart attack at the age of 66.

I can't explain the joy I have received throughout my life because of the Monkees. Yes, I know. Naysayers, begone. I don't care that they didn't write their hits or play instruments on their records. The TV show was a Saturday fvorite of mine, I still have my Monkees lp that I bought a billion years ago, and I own a couple of hits digital packages. The Monkees Theme was a favorite from day one; I remember my brother and I hunching our shoulders and singng it in the middle of the street when we were little. The Monkees always were, and always will be, a favorite pop band.

So long Davy Jones. Thank you for bringing a little more light into our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment