Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sister Goddamn

Sometime around 1991 or so I was approached by Amy Wichman (formerly of the band KAOS- remember "Alcoholiday"?) to join her new project- as their singer; they would later become the Mini Skirt Mob. We began tracking some demos (the woderful Elmo Jackson and the Starfish Six cassette) with Bruce Duff, while Amy's band politely rehearsed without me (I suspect that Amy hadn't gotten a group consensus on my participation).


Both Amy and Bruce had played in the Jeff Dahl Group on the "Scratch Up Some Action" and "Vomit Wet Kiss" LPs (as well as on the later released live album) and after Jeff went solo they were both outjamming with other musicians. I was without a band, everything I was working on kinda fizzled out.


The demos Bruce, Amy, and I recorded eventually morphed into a band with Mat Young who had played drums in the Flower Leperds, Pinups, and Abandoned with me. The band would eventually become Sister Goddamn, named after a variation-combination of  the Velvet Underground's Sister Ray and the Bette Davis's book Mother Goddamn


We would end up playing together for five years, recording two albums (Portrait in Crayon, and Folk Songs of the Spanish Inquisition) for Triple X and Bitzcore, and then morphing into ADZ around 1996. By the time the second Sister goddamn CD was recorded Amy lefte the band (She recorded three songs before she moved on.) Three women finished out the album, with only the awesome Sylvia LaCroix actually seeing the band through to the end. In the summer of 1995 I went to Europe for the first time, doing double vocal duties with both ADZ and Sister Goddamn. We recorded both bands' sets at the Melkweg in Amsterdamn for an album that was never released.


I was watching this video, somehow recorded on a budget of zero by a guy that usually made videos for the Flaming Lips. How Bruce figured this one out is anyone's guess. I saw it posted, and it made me smile. Amy had such a joy de vivre. She would always peer over he cat eye glasses and say , "Indeed" like a snobby old battle  axe, and the Starfish 6 joke, which revolved around the mysterious disappearance of  the elder Elmo Jackson (thus reducing the Jackson 6 to the Jackson 5) combined with our absolute conviction that Bruce (Brooooooooose) was really Jacque Cousteau in hiding- was endless hours of uncontrolled laughter, while Bruce patiently stared at us and wondered if we'd both lost our minds..... 


I really miss her. 


To you, Amy. 









(These photos were taken at the sessions for Portrait in Crayon circa 1992 at Pendragon Studios, El Segundo, California. In the pics are Bruce, Amy, Mat, myseldf, and engineer Wild Bill Krodel. These photos most likely were taken on Bruce's camera.)

2 comments:

  1. Amy was a friend of mine, circa 1985-1986. New Year's Eve, 85/86---what a blast! Amy really helped me become fearless to be myself! I was just thinking about her, and came across this.. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-read... Also a longtime friend of Mat Young...

    ReplyDelete