Thursday, July 4, 2013

American Dogs in Europe- Stage Diving Daisy's Revenge

More than ten years ago I met a young woman who criticized my life choices. I presented the story in a song by ADZ called Stage Diving Daisy. The song was not a put down, but unfortunately was interpreted that way. I considered it more of an homage to the spirit of punk rock. However, the woman's voice, presented by none other than Josie Cotten, was sardonic and witty, and the song, while brilliant, did not accurately express its intention of celebration. In any event, it caused confusion.

I decided to try to restate the song by celebrating the young woman's growth as a human bein. Where she was once a young rebellious punk rock woman, she has followed her interests and is now has a PhD and helps people. 

Like me, she grew up in public, but she was the last of a generation that would grow up in printed word, as opposed as electronic media. 

Daisy's Revenge is simple, write your own rulebook. No need to explain, justify, or follow others. You are your own leader.


DAISY’S REVENGE

There was a time I was unaware
I’d lock my gaze on everything and glare
For no other reason than my will to be free
There was no power higher than the power in me

No need to justify
Or tell the truth when you look them in the eye
It’s our future, we have the tools
Might be there game but we make the rules.

In measured steps I’d play for time
In metered texts I’m looking for a rhyme
These riddles never made sense.
If I can’t break down walls, I’ll jump the fence



CD track 4
EP side two/ track one
Released on Concrete Jungle Records, Germany (click here)
Released August 3, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment