MsTreflex video

Loading...

Monday, May 25, 2015

Unsatisfied by the Replacements

The other day I was trying to describe to one of my children how great a song was, and I realized they don't want to hear me talk about great songs, they want to hear the great songs, on their own time, and to search it out on their own. Music is something that is very specific to a time- whatever time the listener decides the music is valid.

So, I decided the best thing to do is introduce a song a day, and they'd get around to listening to them someday if and when they care, and the rest of the world could care for them until that day comes. 

First offering is to start with a great, great song from the 1984 Replacements album Let It Be. The title, of course, refers to the Beatles album of the same name, and an assertion that there are no rules. The Replacements had even considered calling the next album Let it Bleed to reemphasize the same "No Rules" ideology. 

I went to see the Replacements a couple of times in 1984 or so. Once at the Club Lingerie in Hollywood, another time at Oscar's Cornhusker's in Azusa. I talked to Chris Mars in back of Oscar's, I had gotten to the show early enough to watch them pack up and leave. 

They wouldn't let the band drink, and this was a deal breaker. Apparently one of them was too young (Tommy) and one or more of them didn't have ID's. They were pissed. I told them they should just drink in the alley like everyone else at the time, but that was not what they wanted to do.

They suggested I go to Club Lingerie, which I did, in time to miss the set completely. I talked to John Doe outside of the club, and he told me they blew the lid off. 

And so it goes.

Like so many of the 'Mats catalogue, this song just reaches into you and grabs you by the heart and squeezes until it hurts. The Replacements should have been the greatest band in the world, but it just never panned out for them. 

They never got the breaks they should of, and so for that reason alone, at least today in my little piece of cyber world, they can be #1. In my world, all of the forgotten and disenfranchised bands are the ones to be emulated. 




No comments:

Post a Comment