MsTreflex video

Loading...

Monday, May 25, 2015

You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory by Johnny Thunders

There will never again be a songwriter as great, and tragic as Johnny Thunders. In the many times I watched him play, and the couple of times I talked to him, I could sense that ther was this brilliance being overshadowed by the absolute probability that everything was going to go terribly wrong at any given moment. 

Addicted to heroin, Thunders was the closest thing I ever witnessed to the blues in a straight ahead rock and roller. There will never be another like him. Anyone who never got see him when he was on fire missed one of the true great American rockers. Even on a bad night, I'd take Johnny over the 98% of the slop that was out there. 

This track was from his 1978 solo album So Alone. This is an incredible slab of wax that featured Thunders when he was on a climb, with the real possibility of breaking through- at least in the UK. Some of the record also featured another great singer songwriter, Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy on bass. 







You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory (Thunders)
It doesn't pay to try,
All the smart boys know why,
It doesn't mean i didn't try,
I just never know why.
Feel so cold and all alone,
Cause baby, you're not at home.
And when I'm home
Big deal, I'm still alone.

Feel so restless, I am,
Beat my head against a pole
Try to knock some sense,
Down in my bones.
And even though they don't show,
The scars aren't so old
And when they go,
They let you know

You can't put your arms around a memory
You can't put your arms around a memory
You can't put your arms around a memory
Don't try, don't try

You're just a bastard kid,
And you got no name
Cause you're living with me,
We're one and the same

And even though they don't show,
They scars aren't so old
And when they go,
They let you know

You can't put your arms around a memory
You can't put your arms around a memory
You can't put your arms around a memory
Don't try, don't try

No comments:

Post a Comment